All about Pilates
Pilates is one of the most popular workouts for women. This particular form of exercise appeals to the ladies for many reasons.
- Pilates tones and lengthens muscles, giving a lean appearance to the body. This type of exercise will target the entire body as a whole, as opposed to specific areas. Although, there are certain movements that you can do that will concentrate on a particular area if you feel that it needs more work.
- Pilates reduces stress by using breathing techniques and fluid motions of the body. It calms the mind and focuses the attention on the exercise and the breathing, instead of the stress of everyday life.
- Pilates will also promote a better posture, which will help balance the rest of the body. There are many stretches in Pilates that will help ease tight muscles and often will help with arthritis and other bodily ailments.
- Most of the Pilates exercises are done on the floor on a mat. If you are doing this at home with the use of an instructional video, you may want to invest in a set of resistance bands and a Pilates Ball as well. There are a variety of Pilates equipment and machines for the home available on the market.
- There are also many Pilates centers popping up across the country. You may consider a membership at the center where you have access to an instructor as well as larger and sturdier equipment.
- Most of the Pilates movements are based on the core muscles. The movements are controlled and often use resistance to strengthen, lengthen and tone muscles. The exercises are low impact, so there is no need to be concerned about jolting movements to the body. Each movement is smooth and flows gently.
*About the Author :
Lora C Mercado is a freelance writer and author of numerous cookbooks and books on other topics.