Winter is finally breaking its icy hold, and swimsuit shopping season is here! For many of us, buying a swimsuit isn’t that much higher on the pain list than a root canal! But not for you –take these steps to start toning you tummy to be bikini-fabulous
- Eat less carbohydrates, such as refined sugar, white flour and white rice. Each of these will raise your blood sugar and cause you to gain weight. Switch your choices to whole wheat varieties. It will be healthier for your body and will slim your waistline as well. Try making your sandwich wraps on large lettuce leaves for something different, refreshing and definitely a healthier alternative to bread, tortillas or rolls. Foods that are high in sugar will also cause an increase in cortisol levels when glucose levels suddenly drop. Cortisol contributes to added fat in the midsection which is called visceral fat.
- Avoid stress. It is proven that stress will raise the level of the cortisol hormone in the body. Meditation, reading a relaxing book, going for a long walk, or regular workouts at the gym will decrease the stress level in the body. These activities lower the cortisol level which affects the amount of visceral fat in the tummy area.
- Add cardio activity to your exercise routine. Doing so will increase the number of calories burned, and in turn you will lose weight and feel healthier. Pairing the cardio exercise with strengthening the core, will develop the abdomen muscles so they are tighter and will become flatter.
- Weight training is another great way to fight the battle of the bulge. Mix things up a bit by lifting weights, or use the weight machines at the gym to focus on particular parts of the body. By increasing your muscle mass, you will tone your body and prevent the production of additional visceral fat.
- Make sure you intake enough calcium. The recommended daily requirement for adults is 1,000 milligrams per day. Calcium that is derived from dairy products is considered the best source. By consuming the required amount of calcium per day, the hormone which produces visceral belly fat is reduced.
As you can see, there are many routes you can take to slim down your midsection and get that flat tummy that you have always wanted. By adjusting your diet and exercise routine, along with making yourself feel more peaceful and calm, you will be on your way to flaunting your new body in no time!